Civitas Londinium – a survey of the cites of London and Westminster the borough of Southwark and parts adjacent in the reign of Queen Elizabeth
Published in 1633, misattributed to the surveyor Agas.
One of the earliest detailed maps of London, it depicts London c1560. The original has not survived, but there are three surviving copies of the map which were all published in 1633.
The royal arms in the upper left corner are the House of Stuart (1603–49), the Tudor arms appear (at a very small scale) on the royal barge on the Thames. The Royal Exchange (1571) appears on the map, but is also an insertion (cutting off the rooves of houses).
Shows a view of the city from the Southbank, spanning St James Park to Aldgate.
Old St Paul's Cathedral appears without its spire which was lost in 1561.
Westminster is a separate town linked to the City of London by The Strand and Fleet Street. Most of the space outside the city walls is rural.
Shows people practicing archery, tending cattle and laying out clothes in ‘Tenter fields’. There is a set of stocks at Tower Hill.
There is still a large amount of undeveloped land within the walls around Moorgate and Aldegate. Henry VIIIs dissolution of the monasteries meant land of 23 religious orders within and without the city had been sold for development (to fund wars).
You can see lots of stairs & small ferries, the fleet river is uncovered.
On the Southbank, there are bull baiting & bear baiting rings but no theatres.
Ralph Agas 1560
Each sphere is hand made from casting plaster. Each globe is made in the time honoured traditional method. 12 paper gore sections are carefully applied to the sphere with starch paste. Once dry the surface is burnished and finished with multiple very thin layers of varnish..
Each map or prospect globe is registered at the IPO with a certificate of registration for UK design